BRAYFORD      

A rural parish in North Devon, England including Brayford village, High Bray and Charles, and a part of Exmoor National Park

 

Home Diary Geography History Clubs & Societies Who's Who Gallery About this site Links Archive

 
 
 
Progress Reports and Photos
 

Pre-restoration Photos 

 
Restoration Photos
 
Information Leaflet  
Quiz
 
 
 
Bell Project Report 17 March 2010

 

The Brayford Booklet

 

THE BRAYFORD BELLS RESTORATION PROJECT

High Bray Church sits on a hill overlooking the village of Brayford in North Devon. It has for more than 800 years been a vital part of our community, being the focus of christenings, marriages and funerals, of village events, and of familiar religious services. The church is also used regularly for meetings, by the Brayford Primary School, the Brayford Singing Group, and other village organizations.
 
There are six bells hanging in the church at High Bray and they have been a continuing part of our history. Two bells were cast and placed in the church in the 15th century - one in 1499 and one in 1450; one was cast in 1807, and three were cast in the 1890s when the current bell frame was constructed and put in place. The sound of bells has always been a presence in the village, for worshipers and non-churchgoers alike, but some 30 years ago the deterioration of the base at the west end of the oak bell frame dictated that ringing cease, and the bells had been silent ever since.
 
With enthusiastic village community support, and with the joint leadership of the Brayford Parish Council and the High Bray Parish Church Council, a group was  formed to raise funds so that our bells should ring again. Furthermore it was also proposed to install external lighting to increase the presence of the church as it sits on top of the hill overlooking the village.
 
 

Home Diary Geography History Clubs & Societies Who's Who Gallery About this site Links Archive

Supported by Brayford Parish Council